2030 Casa Grande General Plan
A Growing Horizon
2030 Casa Grande General Plan
The Casa Grande General Plan is required, by state law, to be updated once every ten years.
The process of updating the current 2020 General Plan to create the new 2030 General Plan is almost complete. The new General Plan 2030 does not deviate significantly from the direction set by the current General Plan. However, there are some refinements, namely:
- Identified the amount of water that will be needed to support anticipated growth and determine whether there are adequate water resources to support projected growth and development.
- Created a new Downtown land use category that will allow new medium and high-density residential development to occur as a tool to energize and promote economic activity in the downtown area.
- Increased the areas that are classified as Community Corridor allowing for a greater mixing of the commercial, service, and multi-family residential developments along major street corridors.
- Provided for additional opportunity to construct medium-density residential developments in the Neighborhoods land use category.
- Encouraged the development of vacant land that already has street/utility infrastructure and city services prior to expanding development into areas that do not have existing infrastructure and services readily available.
The input that was provided by the public, during public workshops and presentations, as well as the input provided by the Technical Advisory Committee and Community Steering Forum, was critical in the formulation of the new 2030 General Plan.
Once the City Council votes on the 2030 General Plan it will be set for a public vote by the residents of the City to be held on May 18, 2021.
2023 General Plan Amendment Schedule
|January 6, 2023||Submittal of Amendment Deadline|
|April 20, 2023||Planning Commission Hearing #1 (at Rec Center)|
|May 4, 2023||Planning Commission Hearing #2|
|June 19, 2023||City Council Hearing|
|July 3, 2023||Submittal of Amendment Deadline|
|October 19, 2023||Planning Commission Hearing #1 (at Rec Center)|
|November 2, 2023||Planning Commission Hearing #2|
|December 18, 2023||City Council Hearing|
Dates are subject to change, and all dates for public hearings will be advertised in accordance with City Code requirements
City of Casa Grande Receives APA Arizona Chapter Award for 2030 General Plan
Each year, the American Planning Association, Arizona Chapter recognizes outstanding efforts in planning and planning leadership. This acknowledgment inspires quality and innovation in the planning profession and builds awareness of the field's importance in cultivating thriving communities.
The City of Casa Grande is honored to be recognized by the Arizona Chapter of the American Planning Association. This award is a testament to all the hard work that the City Council, Planning Commission, Citizens Steering Committee, and City staff dedicated to the creation of the 2030 General Plan and future vision for Casa Grande.
The City's efforts to link our future growth and land use planning, coupled with our known water resources, made our 2030 General Plan unique from those of other communities. The focus we placed on ensuring that our future development would be sustainable was supported by the public, as indicated by the 80%+ vote to ratify the General Plan. We can now focus our efforts on the implementation of the goals and action steps set forth in the 2030 General Plan to carry out the community's vision of a "Growing Horizon."
Proposition 456 - 2030 General Plan
City's Special Election Held on May 18, 2021
The Mayor and Council on June 7, 2021, adopted Resolution Number 5304, declaring and adopting the results of the City's Special Election Held on May 18, 2021. Whereas, Proposition 456 - General Plan 2030 did receive a majority of votes cast and is hereby ratified by the electors of the City of Casa Grande and is hereby declared as the General Plan of the City for all purposes beginning June 8, 2021.
- Yes 5,558
- No 848