NATIONAL REGISTER of HISTORIC PLACES
The Evergreen Historic District in the City of Casa Grande has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The National Register is the federal government’s official list of properties considered worthy of preservation. The announcement was made this week by Deputy State Historic Preservation Officer, Dr. William S. Collins. The addition was accepted in January 2009 and just announced to the delight of City officials.
The Evergreen Historic District is comprised of sixteen contiguous City blocks to the northeast of the original town site for the City of Casa Grande. The district is primarily residential, with over half of the properties built between 1945 and 1955. Development slowly tapered off after 1955, lasting until 1963. The district was originally platted in 1928, and its architecture represents the entire range of styles dating from that period, including a wide range of revival and ranch styles. The district includes 195 total properties, five of which were previously listed on the National Register individually.
More information about the Historic Register and its benefits (including the State's Tax Reclassification Program Property Tax Breaks) can be found at the SHPO website or by contacting Carl Metz at (520) 421-8630; The City of Casa Grande web site has a map of the Evergreen District with a full list of the Historic Properties and area description.